|Type of support||Universal (neutral)|
|Inclination of the sole||8mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||g|
|Weight (female model)||g|
|Good comfort||Doubts about durability|
|Simple and efficient setup||Basic setup that may not be comfortable for all runners|
The Nike Downshifter 9 is an entry-level road shoe that offers a simple and efficient configuration. Thus, there is a mid-thick sole with an 8 mm drop which is padded with classic cushioning foam. The outer part of the sole is made of rubber to provide good traction in the city and protect the shoe from wear. For its part, the upper provides well-adjusted and comfortable foot support as well as good ventilation. Thus, for 60 euros (or less depending on the store) the Nike Downshifter 9 can be a good choice if you are looking for a simple and comfortable shoe without breaking the bank. Of course, this can be felt in terms of durability, but overall the quality is correct. In summary, a good model for the road at a low price.
- For starters, the Nike Downshifter 9’s outsole uses rubber that’s particularly tough on abrasion. In addition, the athlete can effectively tackle urban surfaces even when it’s raining thanks to the shoe’s impeccable grip.
- In addition, the outsole of this road model also displays flex grooves which provide a greater range of motion for the foot by allowing the sole to bend easily. The goal is to ensure a more dynamic run for greater comfort.
- The midsole is fitted with soft, flexible foam that aims to disperse shock upon impact throughout the run for greater comfort. In addition, this technology promises optimal responsiveness for more dynamism.
Upper part (upper)
- The upper of the Nike Downshifter 9 uses engineered mesh that is open in the front and closed in the heel and midfoot . This wraps the foot in comfort while ensuring proper ventilation within the shoe.
- In addition, the tapered heel gives a stylish look to this model while ensuring good foot support.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does the Nike Downshifter 9 fit?
This road shoe follows a regular sizing system. Thus, it must correspond to the advertised size. You can therefore opt for your usual size for running sneakers. However, if this is your first Nike model, a visit to the store can be useful to be sure to choose the optimal size.
Is this shoe suitable for pronator runners?
This shoe is a universal stride model. Thus, it is designed to adapt to all athletes regardless of their stride. It does not display any special correction to stabilize the stride and avoid pronation or supination. In any case, you should know that models for pronators are no more effective than universal shoes in reducing the risk of injury (see our article on the subject). We therefore advise you to choose your running shoes according to their comfort. Indeed, this is the most important criterion. So you can opt for this model whatever your stride, as long as it is comfortable.
Is this road shoe suitable for heavy athletes (85 kg or more)?
Only one study so far has looked at the correlation between sole thickness, weight and risk of injury. According to the results of this one, minimalist shoes can increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kilos. Other than that, there are no tips for other categories of running shoes. The Downshifter 9 offers a mid-thickness sole. Thus, this shoe should be suitable for the vast majority of athletes regardless of their weight.
Can you run a half marathon or a marathon with this model?
This Nike road shoe is suitable for different types of distances and training. You can therefore wear it during your daily sessions, of any type. However, you should know that it is an entry-level model with a rather spartan configuration and less durable than a classic model. We recommend it mainly as an extra shoe to alternate with your regular shoes.
Leave a Reply