|Type of support||Universal (neutral)|
|Inclination of the sole||8mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||20mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||12mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||340g|
|Weight (female model)||312g|
|Good general comfort||Slightly narrow forefoot|
|Good adhesion||Some runners note that the upper has durability issues|
|Well-ventilated upper that provides secure foot support|
The Asics Gel Sonoma 5 is an entry-level trail shoe. Thus, it offers a simple and functional configuration. It offers thin lugs to ensure good grip on trail trails. In terms of cushioning, there is a thin sole (20 mm under the heel) equipped with AmpliFoam foam and a GEL pad under the heel to effectively disperse shocks. Thus, the comfort is good overall according to the trailers who tested the shoe. In addition, the upper incorporates the know-how of Asics and provides effective support for the foot while being safe. However, several testers noted that the shoe was a bit narrow in the forefoot, which can hinder your toes if you have wide feet. Moreover, a few people have also noticed signs of rapid wear and tear to the upper fabric. The shoe is also a bit heavy at 340 grams for men and 312 grams for women. However, it has the advantage of being very affordable with a Gore-Tex version at the same price if you think you need it. In summary, the Asics Gel Sonoma 5 is a good trail shoe with an interesting price-performance ratio.
- First of all, the outsole of the Asics Gel Sonoma 5 offers durable rubber that is specially designed to ensure optimal resistance against wear and tear. This technology provides effective grip on the most technical trail routes. Thus, the shoe offers excellent grip even on perilous descents.
- The midsole features AmpliFoam cushioning technology . It is a soft cushioning material with low density, which means that it does not deform easily. It protects against stones and rough terrain. In addition, this platform promises lively running sensations thanks to efficient energy return.
- On the other hand, there is the Rearfoot GEL technology which consists of a cushioning piece positioned under the gel heel and made of silicone. This should provide soft impact absorption.
Upper part (upper)
- The upper of the Asics Gel Sonoma 5 features a technical mesh . The purpose of this is to hold the foot securely while running for optimal comfort. In addition, it is equipped with ventilation holes to let the foot breathe and thus prevent it from getting too hot during exercise.
- In addition, the sewn reinforcement zones improve the support of the foot as well as the structure of the upper to extend the lifespan.
- Finally, a classic lacing system allows the pressure of the laces to be evenly adjusted around the foot to avoid painful pressure points.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do Asics Gel Sonoma 5 shoes fit?
This trail shoe is based on a classic sizing system. Thus, it must correspond to the announced size. So you can order your usual size for trail shoes. However, if this is your first Asics model, a visit to the store can be useful to choose the most comfortable size possible.
Is this trail model suitable for heavy runners (85 kg or more)?
To our knowledge, only one study to date has investigated the relationship between sole thickness, weight, and risk of injury. According to the findings of this study, minimalist footwear may increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kilograms. Other than that, there are no recommendations for other types of running shoes. The Gel Sonoma 5 offers a thin sole (20 mm under the heel) without being minimalist and it should be suitable for the vast majority of athletes regardless of their weight.
Is this shoe waterproof?
This model of trail shoes is available in two versions, classic and Gore-Tex, and that for the same price (which is rather rare). The standard version is lighter and more flexible and prevents small water infiltrations. It is therefore sufficient for light rain or to pass through puddles. If you need more protection for going through shallow streams or for dealing with heavy rain, then the Gore-Tex model seems more suitable. Be aware, however, that the waterproof membrane somewhat reduces air circulation in the shoe. In addition, no protection is 100% waterproof beyond a certain limit.
Are these shoes suitable for running an ultra-trail?
This Asics trail shoe is versatile enough to suit different types of distances and workouts. You can therefore run with it during your daily sessions, of any type. As for the ultra-trail, there is no notable contraindication. If you can manage long distances comfortably with this shoe then there should be no problem.