|Type of support||Universal (neutral)|
|Inclination of the sole||10mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||22mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||12mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||397g|
|Weight (female model)||312g|
|Great comfort||Really heavy weight|
|Pleasant cushioning with a thin sole||Poorly ventilated upper according to several runners|
|Flexible upper with effective support|
The Asics Gel Quantum 360 5 is a very stylish looking road shoe. It offers comfortable and soft cushioning thanks to the combination of GEL pads and Solyte foam. It is its main advantage that has allowed it to seduce many runners over the years. Thus, despite a thin sole of 22 mmunder the heel, it provides good shock absorption for a comfortable run. Beyond the cushioning, the Quantum is a comfortable shoe overall, thanks in particular to its flexible upper which offers the right balance between comfort and support for the foot. However, we note that several runners found the upper to be poorly ventilated. On the other hand, a recurring criticism of this model since the release of the first version concerns its weight. This new version does not improve things, quite the contrary: the shoe now weighs almost 400 grams for the men’s model, which is incredible when you see today’s shoes at less than 250 grams. In summary, the Asics Gel Quantum 360 5 is a good comfortable road shoe that caters to runners looking for a nice looking sneaker for running.
- The outsole of the Asics Gel Quantum 360 5 uses Asics High Abrasion Rubber (AHAR) . This is the ultra-resistant rubber developed by the Japanese brand. This protects the shoe from abrasion due to friction and impact with the bitumen. This rubber provides excellent traction so you don’t slip, even in rainy weather. Plus, it’s lightly foamed to provide extra padding for the runner.
- As its name suggests, this model features GEL technology to provide comfortable and responsive cushioning while running. It is a material similar to silicone whose texture promises optimal shock absorption.
- On the other hand, the Solyte foam completes the cushioning of the shoe. This foam is twice as light as a classic EVA foam according to Asics.
- Although this shoe is not specifically aimed at overpronating runners, it offers a combination of technologies whose purpose is to guide the athlete towards the most natural and efficient stride possible. We thus find the Trusstic System which gives structure to the platform and the Impact Guidance System which should make it possible to better stabilize the foot at the time of damping.
- Finally, the removable OrthoLite X-40 insole completes the cushioning of the shoe and helps prevent moisture thanks to its breathable properties.
Upper part (upper)
- The upper of the Asics Gel Quantum 360 5 results in a breathable mesh that wraps the foot comfortably like a sock. The upper is in one piece to avoid chafing.
- In addition, there is the FluidFit technology which combines a multidirectional mesh with stretch reinforcement pieces to provide effective support without sacrificing comfort.
- In addition, the Exoskeletal Heel Clutching System allows you to comfortably wedge the heel for optimal foot support. This is a technology found on most new Asics models.
- Finally, we note that this road shoe model uses a classic lacing system to adjust the pressure around the foot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How big is the Asics Gel Quantum 360 5?
This model fits faithfully to the advertised size. So you can order your usual size. However, if this is your first running shoe, a visit to the store can be useful to be sure to find the most comfortable size.
Is the Asics Gel Quandum 360 5 suitable for pronators?
This shoe is a model designed to suit all strides. Thus, it does not display a correction for the particular pronation. However, it offers technologies that are supposed to stabilize the foot and guide the runner towards a more natural stride. In any case, there is currently no scientific evidence showing that shoes for pronators are more effective than universal shoes in reducing the risk of injury (see our article on the subject ). We always recommend choosing your shoes according to their comfort (the most important criterion: see our article 5 Tips for choosing the right running shoes). So you can choose this model whatever your stride, as long as it is comfortable.
Is this shoe suitable for heavy runners (85 kg or more)?
Only one study to date has investigated the relationship between weight, type of footwear, and risk of injury. According to the findings of this study, minimalist shoes may increase the risk of injury for runners over 71 kg. Other than that, there are no recommendations for other shoe types. The Quantum 360 offers a thin sole with 22 mm under the heel, but that does not make it a minimalist shoe. You can therefore opt for this shoe whatever your weight, as long as it is comfortable.
Can you run a half marathon or a marathon with these shoes?
This Asics road model is well suited for different types of training and distances. You can therefore use it for your daily outings, whether you are working on speed or distance. Regarding the half-marathon (or even the marathon), there is no particular contraindication. If you manage to run comfortably with these shoes every day, they can accompany you without worry during your (half-)marathon.