|Type of support||Pronator (stability)|
|Inclination of the sole||10mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||23mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||13mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||305g|
|Weight (female model)||271g|
With 28 years (or almost) on the clock, the Asics Gel Kayano 28 is an iconic shoe with impressive longevity. Often criticized for its high weight and its super complicated construction , it is a shoe that still appeals to many runners. If you run comfortably in regular (ie universal) shoes, then you can stop reading: the Kayano has nothing for you. If you need support, then the Kayano might be a good option . Explanations.
Cushioning and racing sensations
With this 28th version, the Kayano makes efforts and displays a more modern and less convoluted configuration. Thus, the stability aids (Trusstic plate, Dynamic DuoMax side walls) are more discreet. The K28 relies more on contact with the ground rather than mechanical guidance to support the foot. For this, it uses a wide and comfortable platform . According to testers, this approach is also felt underfoot with softer cushioning. Flexibility would also be better under the toes for a smoother run. Note that this comfort is all the more surprising since the sole is not so thick with “only” 23 mm under the toes and 13 mm under the forefoot.
The midsole uses the brand’s latest foam: FlyteFoam Blast. This new technology, more responsive and lighter, also equips the small racing car that is the Asics Metaspeed Sky. It replaces FlyteFoam Propel which was beginning to date. In terms of feel, while the cushioning is softer, some testers lament a drop in dynamism compared to the Kayano 27 . Either way, the K28 stays true to itself: it’s a shoe that offers comfort and stability for long rides .
The support for the foot remains effective even if it is more discreet according to the users. Fans of the collection looking above all for good stability should therefore be satisfied.
The upper receives the same treatment as the rest of the shoe with a more stripped down design. The famous exoskeleton (frame) is thus more reduced even if the plastic part at the level of the heel (Heel Cluth buttress) remains prominent. However, despite these small touches, these running shoes remain heavy with 305 g on the clock (only 10 g less compared to the previous model). Still, like other Asics running shoes, the Kayano 28 provides impeccable and comfortable foot support that also has the merit of being spacious to accommodate all foot widths.
Grip and solidity
Finally, the outsole changes little and there is a good dose of rubber (AHAR)with a segmented design to combine flexibility, grip and strength . Nothing to complain about on this side and the K28 will even allow you to venture on the paths, which are not very technical.
The Asics Gel Kayano 28 is the queen of support and continues to deliver a feel, classic, comfortable and stable run for long distances . As we said in the introduction, with its high price and weight, it is only relevant for athletes (beginners and experienced) looking for a reliable model with optimal support.
- First, there is rubber on the outsole of the Asics Jolt 2 shoe. This is specially designed to ensure maximum resistance to wear. This technology provides effective traction on urban surfaces even in bad weather to prevent accidental slipping.
- In addition, the outsole also features flex grooves that provide a greater range of motion for your foot by allowing the sole to bend easily. The expected result is a smoother ride for greater comfort.
- Finally, the geometric design of the sole with its square and triangular shapes of different depths increases traction on urban surfaces.
- The midsole uses EVA foam to provide comfortable cushioning for your foot. Ethylene-vinyl acetate is a material renowned for its lightness and natural cushioning and is used in many running shoes. It ensures that the shocks are dispersed at the moment of impact during the race for greater comfort. We also note that this technology promotes an ideal rebound to breathe dynamism into the race.
- Finally, there is an insole that matches the anatomy of the foot and completes the cushioning of the shoe.
Upper part (upper)
- The upper of the Asics Jolt 2 results in an open-textured mesh . This configuration provides snug foot support and lets it breathe during training.
- In addition, the synthetic reinforcement layers improve the support of the foot as well as the structure of the upper for greater durability.
- On the other hand, the reflective elements allow 360 degree visibility even in low light conditions for added safety.
- Finally, the lightly padded tongue and collar improve the comfort of the shoe by comfortably securing the foot in place in the shoe.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do the Asics Jolt 2 fit?
This road shoe uses a classic sizing system. Thus, it must correspond to the announced size. So you can choose your usual size for sports shoes. However, if this is your first Asics model, a visit to the store is wise to choose the most comfortable size possible.
Is this shoe suitable for pronator runners?
This is a shoe for universal stride. Thus, it is designed to suit all users regardless of their stride. It therefore does not display any special aid to better balance the stride and avoid supination or pronation. Remember here that in all cases shoes for pronators are no more effective than universal shoes in limiting the risk of injury (see our article on the subject). We therefore recommend selecting your running shoes according to their comfort. Indeed, this is the most important criterion. So you can opt for this model whatever your stride, as long as it is comfortable.
Is this road model suitable for heavy athletes (85 kg or more)?
Only one study so far has looked at the link between sole thickness, injury risk and weight. According to the findings of this one, minimalist shoes can increase the risk of injury for athletes with a weight of more than 71 kilos. Other than that, there are no tips for other types of running shoes. The Jolt 2 has a mid-thickness sole with 22mm under the heel, so it should suit whatever size you are.
Can you run a half marathon or a marathon with these shoes?
This Asics road shoe is very suitable for different types of distances and training. You can therefore wear it during your daily outings, whether you are working on speed or distance. Regarding the marathon, there is no notable indication. If you find this shoe comfortable on your long rides then they should be a good choice. It should be noted, however, that this shoe is an entry-level model and is therefore more spartan and a little less solid than the more expensive classic models.