|Type of support||Universal (neutral)|
|Inclination of the sole||8mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||30mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||22mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||275g|
|Weight (female model)||235g|
The Asics Novablast 2 are excellent running shoes for daily training . They improve the promising performance of the Asics Novablast 1, released in 2020, which surprised by their side, fun and bouncy, unusual for a brand rather used to offering serious and firm running shoes.
The Asics Novablast 2 running shoes are a little heavier than the previous model, but gain in stability . The FF Blast foam that makes them special provides them with very good cushioning, liveliness and a lot of fluidity . Their AHARPLUS outsole is a good guarantee of durability.
They belong to the category of running shoes with a moderately high sole thickness (30 mm under the heel). They have an 8 mm drop that adapts better than the 10 mm drop of the previous model to the different rhythms of a long race.
Their ground platform is quite narrow and makes this shoe suitable for runners with a universal stride. Heavier than the Novablast 1, the Asics Novablast 2 running shoes, however, remain in the category of less than 280 grams, which is reasonable for daily training.
Their grip on the ground is good on the road and surprising on paths in dry weather. However, traction is less impressive on wet surfaces. The running sensations are excellent, especially at moderate pace where this model reveals its full potential.
According to many runners, it is a comfortable and safe trainer that can be used daily if you are just starting out or, during a recovery session, for experienced runners who have tired legs. However, its narrow platform does not make it an ideal choice for pronator runners.
- The resistant rubber ensures impeccable traction on the asphalt and protects the shoe from wear. It is harder under the heel and softer under the forefoot for optimal comfort.
- The midsole features FlyteFoam : an energetic and lightweight foam developed by Asics that offers excellent energy return. This midsole technology is made with a unique elastomer compound that guarantees excellent responsiveness throughout the run, even when the shoe wears out. It also uses strong organic fibers which should reduce the chances of the sole collapsing as can be the case with softer foams.
- 3D Space Construction : a structure with geometric shapes in the midsole to improve stride stability. Also, the setup is different for women, with softer cushioning.
- Finally, GEL is a silicone-based gel cushioning piece that provides effective shock dispersion.
Upper part (upper)
- The technical mesh provides effective support for the foot and facilitates good ventilation in order to offer a pleasant feeling of freshness when you go faster.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How big is the Asics Gel Cumulus 23?
Athletes who have tried the shoe confirm that it fits just right. So you can choose your normal size for sports shoes. However, if this is your first Asics model, a visit to the store is advisable to be sure to choose the most suitable size.
Is the Gel Cumulus 23 suitable for pronator athletes?
Yes, this model is a shoe for neutral gait (also called universal). Thus, it is designed to suit all runners regardless of their stride. It therefore does not display any particular help in stabilizing the stride and avoiding pronation or supination. There are shoes specifically designed to reduce overpronation but, without scientific evidence, we don’t recommend them, unless of course you find them comfortable.
Is this model for the road suitable for heavy athletes (85 kg or more)?
Yes, this model should be suitable whatever your morphology. Indeed, although it is often recommended to run with well cushioned shoes if one is heavy, there is in fact little or no evidence that this can reduce the risk of injury. Only one scientific research study to date has investigated the subject. According to this, minimalist shoes (thus with a sole less than 15 mm thick) could increase the risk of injury for athletes over 71 kg. The Gel Cumulus 23 has a moderately thick sole and should therefore be suitable for your weight whatever it is.
Is it possible to run a marathon or a half marathon with these shoes?
This Asics road shoe is quite suitable for different types of training and distances. You can therefore wear it during your daily workouts, of any type. As for the marathon, it mainly depends on your preferences. Best to incorporate it into your training to ensure there is no discomfort or pain on your long rides.
Comparisons – Asics Gel Cumulus 23 vs:
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37
The Pegasus offers a thicker sole even if the feeling is firmer according to the testers. With 20 g less, it is clearly lighter than the Nimbus. However, the outsole of the latter has more rubber, which can make it sturdier. The rest is really a matter of personal preference.