|Type of support||Universal (neutral)|
|Inclination of the sole||9mm|
|Sole thickness (heel)||23mm|
|Sole thickness (forefoot)||14mm|
|Weight (men’s model)||g|
|Weight (female model)||g|
|Great comfort||Weight still a little high even if there is a small improvement compared to the previous model|
|Effective and rather firm cushioning (for those who like)||Some testers note that the shoe is rather stiff|
|Good foot support|
The Asics Gel Cumulus 22 is a great classic from the Japanese brand. It represents the old guard amid modern recent releases like the MetaRacer and the Ride range (eg EvoRide). However, the Cumulus is evolving and this new model is slightly lighter than before. Testers note comfortable cushioning without being incredible, especially in the era of shoes with carbon blades which introduce an unprecedented thundering dynamism. Nevertheless, they insist that the Cumulus 22 provides effective shock absorption with a classic and pleasant stride. This makes it an ideal shoe for daily training and especially for long, moderate-paced rides. Indeed, in addition to being comfortable, the Cumulus is robust with its imposing frame and its layer of resistant rubber (AHAR+) on the outer part of the sole. At the level of the upper, the mesh provides faultless foot support even if the massive shoe collar suffocates the foot a little and risks limiting ventilation. In addition, the thick tongue makes the adjustment of the laces difficult. In summary, the Asics Gel Cumulus 22 is a very good traditional shoe that continues to be relevant for runners looking for a reliable and comfortable model with moderate cushioning.
- First, the outsole of the Asics Gel Cumulus 22 uses AHAR+ technology . This consists of a protective layer of carbon rubber that allows the shoe to better withstand wear and tear on the road. Thus, it improves the durability of the shoe. The area under the heel is particularly susceptible to rapid wear. Indeed, this is the part where most runners cushion their foot. In addition, the runner can approach urban surfaces with complete peace of mind, even in rainy weather, thanks to the unfailing grip of the sole.
- The midsole features Flytefoam Propel cushioning technology . It is an energetic and light foam made from elastomer and strong organic fibers. Its purpose is to promote propulsion when pushing. Its purpose is to provide maximum shock absorption while running for greater comfort. In addition, this technology must promote maximum responsiveness for more dynamism.
- In addition, there is GEL technology , a piece of gel cushioning made up of silicone. The purpose of this is to provide optimal impact dispersion. It is found under the heel and under the forefoot on this model.
Upper part (upper)
- The upper of the Asics Gel Cumulus 22 displays a technical mesh . It offers precise foot support and guarantees good ventilation in the shoe when the pace increases.
- In addition, the Frictionless 3D Print Construction technology consists of a unique configuration that ensures ideal comfort by avoiding irritation due to friction. This construction allows the athlete to wear the shoes without socks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do Asics Gel Cumulus 22 shoes fit?
This road shoe is based on a regular sizing system. Thus, it must correspond to the announced size. However, it is a new model and there are currently not many customer reviews on the subject. We will update this section over time.
Is this shoe suitable for pronators?
This model is a shoe for universal stride. Thus, it is designed to suit all users regardless of their type of stride. It therefore does not display a stability aid to correct the stride and prevent pronation or supination. In any case, you should know that models for pronators are no more effective than universal shoes in limiting the risk of injury (see our article on the subject). We therefore recommend selecting your shoes according to their comfort, the most important criterion. So you can choose this model whatever your stride, as long as it is comfortable.
Is this road shoe suitable for heavy runners (85 kg or more)?
Only one study to date has investigated the link between sole thickness, risk of injury and weight. According to the latter’s findings, minimalist shoes can increase the risk of injury for athletes weighing more than 71 kilograms. Other than that, there are no tips for other categories of running shoes. The Gel Cumulus 22 has a 23mm thick sole under the heel, so it should be suitable for all runners regardless of weight.
Can you run a half marathon or a marathon with this model?
This Asics road shoe is suitable for different types of training and distances. You can therefore wear it during your daily training sessions, whether they focus on speed or distance. As for the half marathon or the marathon, it mainly depends on your preferences. If you find this shoe comfortable on your long rides then there should be no problem.